Thursday, October 24, 2013

Look at the size of that nut!

I like a good knitting challenge, readers.  Here's the back story: I work at a museum, and we have traveling exhibits that come in for 4-8 months at a time.  Currently we have a trees exhibit, which is aimed at families and small children, and one of my coworkers asked if I could make her an acorn to use during demonstrations with the kids.  Of course I could.

I rooted around on Ravelry to find a pattern I could modify.  The knitted options didn't look that great, and I know you can make odd shapes more easily with crochet, so I resigned myself to the fact that I would be moving away from the needles and picking up a hook.

The pattern I liked the best was the one that met the scale requirements for the project.  We needed something that would be a plush version of an acorn, that kids could toss around and play with.  I was aiming for something that was about 8-10" tall, and it seemed like more trouble than it was worth to take a 2" acorn pattern and make it ten times the size.

Enter the Little Acorn Project Bag by Brigitte Read.  This was exactly what I was looking for, and it was free, and it looked easy enough for my limited crochet skills.

Her version was meant to be a project bag, as the name indicates, but it was a simple step to not include the button closures and just stuff it and sew it up.




I was so happy with how this turned out.  It was easy peasy to make, and I had it done in a few nights.  AND, I was able to use up some of my leftover scraps of acrylic yarn from various projects.  No one really likes acrylic, but it made the most sense for this project because it would be man-handled by grubby little kid fingers all day, and now it can just be tossed in the wash.

Also, it was a very cute little fall project to work on, and it makes me want to make a series of crocheted and felted acorns for decorating my dining table.  At Rhinebeck, there were some really adorable needle felting kits for pumpkins and the like, and I want to try my hand it that eventually.  I realize now that I had the cash on hand to buy one of the kits, but I was holding on to my cash for our food stops on the way home, which didn't end up happening.  Oh well.  I'll put it on my list for next time, and it's one more craft to add to my list of things to do.

Onward,

vrock

No comments: